Doctors tour of Iceland & CME – 12-22 June, 2023
Do you have Iceland on your bucket list? Here is an opportunity to join our small group of doctors on a 10-day and 12-nights tour of Iceland in June 2023.
The group is limited to a maximum of 16 people to provide a personalised quality experience for all participants. While we enjoy the scenery of Iceland, we update our medical knowledge with a custom-designed academic program that’s tailored to the interests of the group.
RACGP CPD points for small group learning will be applied for, and the program might include presentations from participating specialists.
By day we will get to see roaring waterfalls, vast glaciers, black sand beaches and the stunning Glacial Lagoon. By night we can pursue our academic program and relax at carefully selected countryside hotels.
We will be travelling in a Toyota Sprinter mini bus, with a driver and guide for the entire duration of our tour.
What is included, and a proposed itinerary
Note: a continental buffet breakfast is included every day at our hotels.
- Day 1: Golden Circle tour – Pick up in Reykjavík and do the Golden Circle tour, visiting the National Park at Þingvellir, the Geothermal area of Geysir and the waterfall Gullfoss, before heading down to the southcoast for our accommodations close to the town of Hvolsvöllur. Optionally here we could add a visit to the (not so) Secret pool at Flúðir or a horseback riding tour in the afternoon or evening.
- Day 2: Þórsmörk glacier valley – Today we go for a couple of nice short walks and sightseeing in Þórsmörk glacier valley – one of the best places to see the typical Icelandic landscape.
- Day 3: Waterfall of Skógafoss – We drive the Southcoast and visit the waterfall of Skógafoss, do a icewalk on a glacier, visit Reynisfjara beach and Fjaðrárgljúfur canyon before heading to the south east for our accommodations for the night.
- Day 4: Glacier Lagoon – Today we visit the Glacier Lagoon and go for a boat ride among the beautiful icebergs floating on the lagoon. Afterwards we stop across the road at the Diamond beach to enjoy the crystal clear ice fragments on the black sand beach. In the afternoon we will head on east towards our accommodations with the option of either driving up a very dramatic mountain route to get up to base camp for a snowmobile ride on the glacier or visiting the very scenic Vestrahorn area for a nice walk and it’s extremely picturesque scenery.
- Day 5: Eastfjords and Mývatn – We drive through the Eastfjords up north towards Mývatn, stopping in various scenic locations on the way and enjoying a bath in the warm natural water at the Nature baths in the afternoon before heading to our accommodations at Mývatn.
- Day 6: Whale watching, Goðafoss and Akureyri – We drive to Húsavík for a Whale watching tour and in the afternoon stop by the waterfall Goðafoss before heading to the town of Akureyri, often called the capital of the north, for some free time in town in the afternoon. Our accommodations will be in town.
- Day 7: A visit to Drangey island and its thousands of Puffins – We head West on the North coast and go on a very authentic boat tour to visit an island full of stories and thousands of Puffins. In the afternoon we will visit one or two museums and optionally the group can go on a horse back ride at our accommodations in the Skagafjörður area.
- Day 8: Waterfall, Elephant and Seals – We drive on towards the Snæfellsnes peninsula with several sightseeing stops on our way, including a beautiful not well known waterfall and a very scenic rock off the coast commonly called the Icelandic elephant. After a few more stops on our way we will arrive at our accommodations in the Borgarfjörður area.
- Day 9: Langjökull glacier and Lava – We go and explore Langjökull glacier inside and out on the IntoTheGlacier tour and in the afternoon visit quite a unique lava tube cave to experience Iceland from the inside. Accommodations again in the Borgarfjörður area.
- Day 10: Snæfellsnes peninsula / Reykjavík – On our last day we drive out to enjoy the sights on the Snæfellsnes peninsula before heading back to Reykjavík and should arrive there roughly at around dinner time.
We would recommend you spend one extra day at the start of the tour in Reykjavík, to see the city and soak in the famous Blue Lagoon.
This itinerary is indicative only. The weather might dictate changes. The tour guides will do their best to show all highlighted attractions, in their best possible light.
The length and timing of our academic sessions will be adjusted to best suit the program of each day, and mainly organised in the mornings or evenings at the accommodation.
We estimate that the price of the tour will be approximately AUD $5,598 per person, twin share. Please note that currency variations might affect the total cost, depending upon the exchange rate at the time of payment. Registration fee for the academic program will be AUD$680 pp. The final tour operator itinerary, price and academic program will be decided after discussion with participant doctors, to ascertain the preferences of the majority of participants.
Thank you for your expression of interest – please fill in the form below.
Dr Calin Pava
For updates and other travelling news – become a member of our travelling doctors and follow us on Facebook via the “Travel for Doctors” group page.
Book your place and join us in Iceland for our tour, 12-22 June 2023.
If you would like to join us, please fill in the following form with your contact details and we will send you a registration form, a copy of the academic program and Doctor’s tour of Iceland itinerary.
Space is limited, places are on a first-come-first-served basis.